More SQL Server 2008 Courses
Upgrading Your SQL Server 2000 Skills to SQL Server 2008 Course
This course is no longer included in our schedule. It may still be available as a closed course, or there may be a more up to date alternative. Please contact a member of our sales team (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: 0118 979 4000) for further advice.
Course Code: M6317
This course provides students with the knowledge and skills to upgrade their SQL Server 2000 database administration (DBA) skills to SQL Server 2008 DBA skills. Please note that there is no certification exam related to this course.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
-Describe the new features of SQL Server 2008.
-Plan for a SQL Server 2008 installation, upgrade, and migration.
-Understand SQL Server data types.
-Manage SQL Server 2008.
-Secure a SQL Server 2008 database.
-Prepare for and recover from potential database disasters.
-Maintain availability to their SQL Server data even through server downtime.
-Configure replication of SQL Server 2008 databases.
-Implement policy-based management.
-Monitor database activity.
-Monitor and manage database performance.
This course is intended for IT professionals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases.
Before attending this course, students must have experience developing or administering SQL Server 2000 databases.
An Introduction to SQL Server 2008
- The Evolution of SQL Server
- SQL Server 2008 Architectural Components
Installing and Upgrading to SQL Server 2008
- Preparing for SQL Server 2008 Installation
- Installing SQL Server 2008
- Upgrading a SQL Server 2000 Instance
- Configuring a SQL Server Installation
- Using SQL Server Configuration Manager
Storage Enhancements in SQL Server 2008
- Data Type Enhancements
- Table Partitioning
- Indexing Enhancements
- Tuning Indexes (Optional)
- Lab : Optimizing SQL Server 2008
SQL Server 2008 Administration Enhancements
- Administration Tools Overview
- Using SQL Server Management Studio
- Using the sqlcmd Utility
- Using Windows PowerShell
- Lab : Administrating SQL Server 2008
Security Enhancements with SQL Server 2008
- SQL Server 2008 Security Overview
- Managing SQL Server 2008 Security
- Managing Permissions
- Managing Keys and Certificates
- Data Encryption
- Lab : Securing a SQL Server 2008 Database
SQL Server 2008 Disaster Recovery
- Database Backup
- Backup Compression
- Database Restoration
- Database Snapshots
- Lab : SQL Server 2008 Disaster Recovery
High Availability in SQL Server 2008
- Log Shipping
- Database Mirroring
- Determining the Best High Availability Solution
Replication Enhancements in SQL Server 2008
- New Types of Replication
- Additional Replication Enhancements
- Lab : Implementing Replication
SQL Server 2008 Policy-Based Management
- Understanding Central Management Servers
- Understanding Policy-Based Management
- Implementing Policy-Based Management
SQL Server 2008 Monitoring Enhancements
- Monitoring a Database
- Using DDL Triggers
- Auditing in SQL Server
- Event Notifications
- Using Static and Dynamic Metadata
- Lab : Monitoring SQL Server 2008
SQL Server 2008 Performance
- Managing Workloads with Resource Governor
- Monitoring Performance with the Data Collector
- Managing Performance with Plan Freezing